Heritage Weekend in Ely

Ely's Porta

Ely Heritahe Weekend

Ely Heritage Weekend: 8th Sept. 2017 – 10th Sept 2017

The City of Ely is steeped in history and is proud of its strong heritage with the largest collection of monastic buildings in private dwelling in Europe. It is therefore fitting that we join in with the national Heritage weekend celebrations. This provides an excellent opportunity for locals and visitors alike to see many of the City’s buildings for free and visit some venues not usually open to the public.

Old Porta Tours
The Old Porta, which is also known as Walpole’s Gate having been named after Prior Walpole, was begun in the 1396 and was completed in 1417. It was once the main entrance to Ely’s monastery where local people would travel from both far and near to sell their wares, it now houses the library of the nearby Kings School. View its large collection of books and wonderful architecture.
Sunday September 10th 2017 – 2pm2.30pm3pm and 3.30pm
Places for the visit must be pre-booked at www.olivercromwellshouse.co.uk

The Monastic Barn
This retangular monastic barn, built in 1375, stands two stories high and was used to store malt, wheat, salted meat and other food products. View its exposed beamed ceiling and arched doorways. It is now used as the dining hall
for the nearby Kings School.
Sunday September 10th 2017 – 2pm 2.30pm 3pm and 3.30pm – Beside Cherry Hill Park. Ely.
Places for the visit must be pre-booked at www.olivercromwellshouse.co.uk
Prior Crauden’s Chapel
Prior Crauden’s Chapel (in the grounds of Ely Cathedral) was built between the years 1524 and 1525 by Alan of Walsingham for Prior Crauden’s  own private use. Rarely open for public viewing, note its medieval tiled floor and wall paintings.

Sunday September 10th 2017 – 10am to 4pm

Places for the visit must be pre-booked at www.elycathedral.org